While you’re working hard to keep your home clean and germ-free, the cleaners you’re using could put your family’s health at risk. Like most unenjoyable tasks, cleaning the kitchen, toilet and tub are just part of your to-do list. So most of us don’t consider the harsh chemicals we’re putting into the air our family breathes and down the drain – polluting the nearby water source. A quick scan of the cleaning product labels in your cabinet is eye-opening, if not downright frightening.
Some of the most dangerous chemicals can be found in the cleaning products you use on a daily basis in your home. We’ve gathered the list of potentially harmful culprits and how to keep your home clean – free of dirt, germs, and bacteria – without the stringent smells and pollutants.
- Hydrochloric acid: This chemical is an extremely toxic, corrosive acid found in most toilet bowl cleaners. You’ll find that most of the products with this chemical carry the warning “harmful or fatal if swallowed.”
- Bleach: Bleach is an ingredient that can corrode your skin, cause eye, nose, and throat irritation, and be deadly if ingested in certain amounts. Bleach will kill the germs in your home, but it will also put your family at risk – especially those with difficulty breathing or asthma.
- Ammonia: A popular ingredient in all-purpose cleaners, ammonia evaporates quickly and doesn’t streak. However, the chemical does irritate the eyes and lungs, and if mixed with bleach, can produce a poisonous gas.
- Sulfuric acid: This chemical is a highly corrosive strong mineral acid often found in drain cleaners. Not only can this chemical burn your skin, it’s also difficult to break down, meaning it could contaminate local bodies of water and any marine life living within.
- Fragrances: An unexpected danger is advertised to make your home smell good. Fragrances added to many cleaners, like laundry detergents and fabric softeners, can cause respiratory irritation, headache, sneezing, and watery eyes in sensitive individuals or allergy and asthma sufferers. The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health has found that one-third of the substances used in the fragrance industry is toxic.
The harsh chemicals found in your disinfectants, window cleaner, oven and toilet bowl cleaners, and even aerosol fragrance products prove to be the most dangerous for young children. The National Capital Poison Center reports cleaning substances were the number two cause of poison exposure in children younger than six in 2016.
What the Safest Cleaning Product for My Family?
As you search the market for a safe multi-purpose cleaner, many labels will claim “natural ingredients” or “eco-friendly” without actually putting the research and limited, quality ingredients into a product to make it safe for your family.
Pro-Tek cleaning products are highly concentrated and biodegradable. Pro-Tek Cleaner is never tested on animals and is safe to use around your children and pets. Because the product has no acids, phosphates, butyls or ammonia, it is safer for our environment. A long-fought battle for the world of non-toxic cleaners is their ability to clean just as well as chemical-laden competitors. With Pro-Tek products, you’re able to clean a number of household items and know that your family safe and that the job is done. Use Pro-Tek products to clean:
- Stains (blood, urine, fecal matter, coffee, tea, wine, ink, Kool-Aid, pet odors/stains)
- Metals (Even silver and gold)
- Natural stone
- Outdoor furniture
- And many more…
It’s not enough to rid your home of germs if the toxic cleaners you use to put your family’s health in jeopardy. With non-toxic all-purpose cleaners, like Pro-Tek, you can have a clean home, a healthy family and a cleared conscious knowing that the products you’re using are biodegradable and aren’t hurting the environment.